Go to myBenU
LinkedIn Instagram Twitter YouTube Facebook
Closeup shot of an unrecognisable businesswoman going through paperwork in an office

Information + Forms

Information and Forms

Further detailed information regarding each subject and retrieval of PDFs forms are available by clicking each titled box.

Uploading Documents

Submit all documents to the Office of Financial Aid on this secure link. Please include your name and BenU ID on each page.

Upload Documents Here

Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

Students should complete their FAFSA as soon as possible each year starting on October 1. This free application serves as a gateway for all federal, state, and Benedictine University need-based financial assistance. Include Benedictine University’s federal school code: 001767 so that the results of your FAFSA application will automatically be sent to BenU’s Office of Financial Aid.


The federal verification process acts as a quality control measure; the U.S. Department of Education (ED) approximately selects one out of every three FAFSA applications to complete this process. Students required to complete the verification process will not receive any federal funds until the requested documents have been submitted and reviewed by the Office of Financial Aid.

Special Circumstance Information

Under Federal law, a student and their family are primarily responsible to cover the cost of attending their college of choice to the extent that they are able. However, the ED and Benedictine University’s Office of Financial Aid recognizes that the information collected by the FAFSA may not accurately reflect each student’s unique financial circumstances. If you feel that the information reported on your FAFSA does not accurately reflect how much you or your family can afford to contribute toward your degree, you may be eligible to appeal on the basis of special circumstances.

Only certain situations qualify for a special circumstance appeal. Some examples of special circumstances include loss of income due to job loss, medical expenses not covered by insurance, and divorce or separation, among others. You must follow up with a Financial Aid Counselor and provide documentation to verify the circumstances submitted in your appeal. It is best to gather as much written evidence of your situation as you can.

Reconsideration Additional Financial Aid

Mission Fund will assist students who are on their way toward earning a degree but encounter a hardship during their time at Benedictine University. A family emergency or unexpected expense can derail a student and limit their educational opportunity. Click on the yellow box to open the application and submit the form to the Office of Financial Aid at [email protected].

Citizenship Requirement

Per federal regulations, prior to posting federal funds, some students may be required to submit a copy of their original citizenship document to the Office of Financial Aid.

U.S. Citizen Acceptable Documentation

  • Copy of student’s birth certificate showing U.S. birthplace
  • Copy of U.S. passport, current or expired, except limited passports (which are typically issued for short periods, such as a year, and which don’t receive as much scrutiny as a regular passport when applying)
  • Copy of U.S. passport card
  • Certificate of Citizenship, which is issued by Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to individuals who derive U.S. citizenship through a parent
  • Certificate of Naturalization, which is issued by USCIS (or, prior to 1991, a federal or state court) or through administrative naturalization after December 1990 to those who are individually naturalized
  • Certification of Birth Abroad, form FS-545, DS-1350 or FS-240, “Reported of Birth Abroad including an embossed seal indicating “United States of America” and “State Department”
  • Unexpired Permanent Resident Card or Resident Alien Card (Form I-551)
  • Foreign passport including a Machine Readable Immigrant Visa (MRIV). The MRIV must appear in the holder’s unexpired passport and must be endorsed with an admission stamp and the statement “Upon endorsement serves as temporary I-551 evidencing permanent residence for 1 year”
  • I-94 Arrival-Departure Record, which must be stamped “Processed for I-551” with expiration date or “Temporary Form I-551 with appropriate information filled in
  • U.S. Travel Document, containing the Reentry Permit, Form I-327 and the Refugee Travel Document (Form I-571)

Non-U.S. Citizens Qualify for Federal Student Aid

An eligible noncitizen is someone who qualifies for federal student aid, but is not a citizen of the United States. These students must meet some specific criteria. Eligible noncitizens complete the FAFSA just like citizens of the U.S.

To qualify as an eligible noncitizen, you must be a: permanent resident with a “green card,” also known as a Permanent Resident Card. Before you apply, make sure your status has not expired and renew if you need to.

See more information regarding Non-U.S. citizens.


The student must first apply for benefits directly with U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs. Once you have completed your Veterans educational benefit application, the Veteran Affairs will send you a Certificate of Eligibility.  The Office of Financial Aid will certify your enrollment at Benedictine University with the Veteran Affairs.

Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy for Financial Aid Recipients

Federal regulations require Benedictine University to establish standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress for students receiving federal and state financial aid. Financial aid recipients at Benedictine University are expected to maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP). The SAP criteria contained in the policy are applied annually to all students. Minimum standards of academic progress are established to encourage students to successfully complete coursework within a timeframe and make successful progress towards a degree.

Consortium Agreements

A Consortium Agreement is a contract between two colleges or universities recognizing the student’s registration at each site for financial aid purposes. The consortium agreement also certifies that the home university will administer Title IV financial aid for the student.

For further questions, or to set up an appointment with the Office of Financial Aid, please contact us at [email protected] or (630) 829-6100. Our office is located on the 2nd Floor of Goodwin Hall.