Grants and Work Study


Grants are an educational funding source available to most undergraduate students that they do not need to repay. There are several types of grants that may be available to undergraduate students.

State of Illinois Monetary Award Program (MAP)

The MAP grant is awarded to undergraduate Illinois residents attending an in-state college or university. MAP grants are based on need and are funded by the State of Illinois. You are automatically considered for it once you complete the FAFSA and apply before the state’s deadline (December 1).

We recommend that you file your FAFSA as soon as possible after October 1st to be considered for the MAP Grant. If you file your FAFSA after the state’s deadline, you may not receive MAP funding even if you are eligible need-based funds on your FAFSA application.

MAP regulations require you to enroll for 15 credit hours per (fall and spring) semesters to receive the full award. If you enroll part time or for one semester, your award will be adjusted according to ISAC rules. MAP is restricted to tuition and mandatory fees.

Note for students awarded an Illinois MAP Grant:

By applying for financial aid and agreeing to share that information with the Illinois Student Assistance Commission (ISAC) you have been considered for the State of Illinois (IL) Monetary Award Program (MAP) Grant. All MAP-approved institutions are required by the State of Illinois to announce MAP Grant awards to students who are enrolled or intending to enroll at their institution. An award amount is included in your financial aid package if you have met the eligibility criteria.

The MAP Grant award amount is an estimate made by the financial aid office and is identified as a “State of IL MAP Grant (Est)”. Please be aware that the number of available MAP Grants is limited by funding levels approved by the Illinois General Assembly and the Governor, and reductions to estimated or actual MAP Grants are possible.

There are also limitations to how long you can continue to receive a MAP Grant. Usage is tracked by the number of credit hours for which you’ve received MAP benefits and is referred to as MAP Paid Credit Hours (MPCHs). The maximum number of MPCHs that can be received is 135, which is equivalent to approximately four and a half years of full-time enrollment. For your reference, and to learn more about MPCH limitations, you may access a record of your MPCHs, as well as other student resources, through the ISAC Student Portal at

Eligibility for the need-based MAP Grant award may indicate that you are eligible for assistance with expenses such as food, housing, or child care for dependent children. If you have dependent care expenses, ask the financial aid office about the federal dependent care allowance. For eligibility and application information about the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) and the Child Care Assistance Program, contact the Illinois Department of Human Services at 800-843-6154 or Contact the Illinois Hunger Coalition Hunger Hotline at 800-359-2163 or

Retention of Illinois Students & Equity (RISE) Act and Alternative Application for Illinois Financial Aid

The Retention of Illinois Students & Equity (RISE) Act allows eligible undocumented students and transgender students who are disqualified from federal financial aid to apply for all forms of state financial aid. The Alternative Application for Illinois Financial Aid provides a pathway for these qualified students to apply for Monetary Award Program (MAP) grants, the state’s largest need-based grant program for low-income college students.

Federal Pell Grant

The U.S. Department of Education determines the student’s Federal Pell Grant eligibility when the FAFSA is completed and submitted to the U.S. Dept of Education every year after October 1st. The Federal Pell Grant is funded by the U.S. Department of Education. Federal Pell Grants are awarded to eligible undergraduates who have not earned a bachelor’s degree and meet financial need requirements.

For 2022-2023 the maximum award is $6,895 for full-time students with an Expected Family Contribution (EFC) on the FAFSA of 0. Students may receive a prorated grant for enrollment less than fulltime.

Year-Round Pell Grant

The Consolidated Appropriations Act of 2017 allows a student to receive Federal Pell Grant funds for up to 150% of the student’s Pell Grant Scheduled Award for an award year. Year-Round Pell  allows students to receive up to 150% of a regular grant award during the academic year taking classes in the summer.

To be eligible for the additional Pell Grant funds, the student must meet all general eligibility requirements to receive financial aid for the payment period and must be enrolled at least half time (6 credits) in the semester. Eligible students may receive up to three Pell disbursements (150%) in one academic year (summer, fall and spring semesters). Pell Grant recipients may take advantage of this new regulation to earn their degree faster.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)

The Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG) is a campus-based program administered by the Office of Financial Aid. Undergraduate students with exceptional financial need are given priority for these limited funds. The maximum award amount varies annually according to an appropriation from Congress.

Students are automatically considered for SEOG funds when they complete the FAFSA. These funds are typically awarded to students with an Expected Family Contribution (EFC) of $0 who file the FAFSA each year timely. Students do not need to repay these funds.

Male student in work study program


Federal Work-Study program (FWS) provides an opportunity for BenU students to earn a portion of their education expenses through part-time, on-campus employment. If a student is eligible to participate in the FWS program, a FWS offer amount will appear on their Financial Aid Offer Notification. FWS earnings are not credited directly to a student’s account but the student is issued a bimonthly paycheck.

Benedictine University offers a number of paid student employment positions across campus, and interested students should consult the Human Resources website for all available work-study positions and to complete the hiring process. This program allows students the opportunity to earn a portion of their financial aid while developing critical employability skills through an internship-like experience while also contributing to the campus community.

Work-Study Wages

The amount of the FWS offer represents potential earnings from FWS employment. Actual earnings are based on actual hours worked and rate of pay. Students may work up to 20 hours per week when school is in session and up to 35 hours per week during university breaks.

The Minimum wage is paid.

  • The student’s earned wages are NOT applied to the student’s university account. The student is paid by BU and receives a paycheck, unless the student opts for direct deposit with Human Resources.
  • FWS funds are not counted in the following year’s FAFSA formula

Hiring Process

  • Student receives a Federal Work-Study offer in their Financial Aid Offer Notification.
  • Student prepares and conducts a job search on BenU’s Student Employment website which includes both campuses (Lisle and Mesa).
  • Student applies for open position based on their campus and qualifications.

If hired, the process continues with Human Resources in Goodwin Hall, Suite 318 at Lisle or the Front Desk in Gillett Hall at Mesa.

    1. Human Resources will send you an email with next step instructions.
    2. Original documents for employment eligibility verification to complete the I-9 form.
    3. Homeland Security requires that you present original documents. We cannot accept copies and faxes.

For further questions, or to set up an appointment with the Office of Financial Aid, please contact us at [email protected] or (630) 829-6100. Our office is located on the 2nd Floor of Goodwin Hall

Discover your future at BenU