Go to myBenU
LinkedIn Instagram Twitter YouTube Facebook

International Student Employment

On-Campus Employment for International Students

On-Campus Employment
  • All F visa holders in good standing are eligible to apply now.
  • Students may work up to 20 hours per week while they are in class, and more than 20 hours per week on breaks (fall, winter, spring) and vacation terms.
    • University policy states that students cannot work more than 35 hours per week during breaks and vacation terms.
  • You may work more than one on-campus job, but you are responsible for not working more than 20 hours per week.
  • File a Request for Work Authorization form with IPS. Work with a supervisor and the Office of Personnel Resources to complete the hiring process.
  • Student worker open positions.
  • Benedictine Personnel Resources
Student Employment - Current Openings


Illegal Employment
  • DO NOT WORK WITHOUT AUTHORIZATION. This will result in an I-20 termination, which is an action that we cannot fix for you. You will lose your current status in the United States and will probably have difficulty returning anytime in the future.
  • Volunteering vs. Illegal Employment
    • Volunteer work in the United States includes things like delivering food to the needy, helping put information in envelopes, volunteering for service projects with the elderly or children, etc. Volunteer work is when an organization specifically requests volunteers.
    • Volunteer work is not someone doing work that someone else would be paid for, yet not being paid. Not only is it illegal employment, but it is also against U.S. labor laws and the organization/company would be at risk for letting this happen.
    • If a person with whom you are “volunteering” is being paid and you are not and you are doing the same job, then it is illegal employment.
    • If you are not sure if whether your arrangement is legal, please contact your international student advisor BEFORE you start.

Employment Forms

Request for Employment Authorization:  This form for all students who wish to obtain off-campus work authorization. This includes F-1 students applying for OPT or STEM OPT and J-1 students who are applying for academic training. Please make an appointment with your international student adviser at least 3-4 months prior to your desired work start date. Students requesting a STEM OPT 24 Month Extension should also use this form.

Academic Advisor Verification Form for Curricular Practical Training:  This form is used for students who would like to participate in an internship or off-campus training that is related to their program of study but is unable to enroll in an internship course.  Students are required to include an offer letter and/or job description when applying. Please speak with your International Student Advisor or e-mail [email protected] to verify if this form is appropriate for your situation.

STEM Check-in Form: Students who have been approved for a STEM OPT 24 Month Extension are required to check-in with IPS every six months from the start date on the STEM EAD card. Please complete this form and e-mail it to [email protected].