Go to myBenU
LinkedIn Instagram Twitter YouTube Facebook
Counselling appointment for young Asian woman

Registration and Updating Your Student and Exchange Visitor Information SEVIS Record

US Visa Regulations require all F-1 and J-1 students to register and maintain their status.  Here are some tips on updating and maintaining your SEVIS Record.

In order to be registered in SEVIS international students must:

  1. Submit a term check-in-form EACH TERM. This can be found here:  TERM CHECK-IN Form and VACATION REQUEST Form and this must be submitted by the Friday of the first week of classes.  Please don’t forget to upload in a copy of your course schedule.
  2. Students taking a vacation term can submit the TERM CHECK-IN Form and VACATION REQUEST Form completing the “Vacation Term Declaration” section. It is recommended you submit a copy of your transcripts so we can confirm you are eligible for a vacation term.
  3. If you are requesting IPS authorize a reduced course-load in SEVIS please submit this form: Request to Drop Below Full-Time Registration Form in addition to the term check-in form.


Updating your SEVIS Record

Changing Your Address

When F-1 or J-1 visa holder moves, you are required to update their address with International Programs and Services within ten days of moving (this includes when moving to a different dorm or apartment on campus).  Please complete the form at the bottom of this page.

Change in Major or Degree Program

If you would like to change your major or degree program, make an appointment with your international student adviser one month prior to the desired start date of the new major or program.  It is a violation of your visa status to study within a program that is not listed on your I-20/DS-2019.  Failure to request a new I-20/DS-2019 with the appropriate major or program will cause you to lose your status.

You must also complete the Change of Academic Major/Program form.

Extend or Shorten Your Program

One aspect of maintaining your status is complete your program before the program end date listed on your I-20/DS-2019.

Extending your program end date: If you are unable to complete your program by your end date, you can request a program extension by completing the Program Extension Form.  This form must be completed one month before your current program end date.

Shortening your program end date: If you are completing your degree program early, you should contact your international student adviser prior to your new requested program end date.