Lisle, Illinois ~ Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. was an influential civil rights leader who had a remarkable impact on race relations in America. Benedictine University has planned several community service projects in his honor to commemorate the spirit of service from 10:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m. on Monday, January 16, in Kindlon Hall.
Martin Luther King Jr. Day is a federal holiday that calls for people to work together to provide solutions to our communities’ problems, bridge barriers and draw us closer to King’s vision of a “beloved community.” Benedictine stresses the importance of community, of welcoming the stranger and of caring for the other, and makes numerous efforts throughout the year to reach out and make a difference in the lives of those in need.
Volunteers can participate in the following community service projects during this “Day of Service” on campus:
• Create room decorations for hospital patients.
• Pack a backpack with personal hygiene items (deodorant, lip balm, twin blade razors, shaving cream, hairbrush, etc.) for DuPagePads.
• Make valentines for veterans.
• Make fleece blankets for Advocate Hospice and the Ronald McDonald House (please bring two yards of fleece material).
• Contribute to a bicycle drive (bikes in need of repair accepted) for DuPagePads.
• Create Build-A-Bears for the Ronald McDonald House at Edward Hospital.
• Organize birthday bags for children served by local food pantries.
• Construct bird feeders for the elderly.
All are welcome to volunteer, but children under 15 must be accompanied by an adult.
For those who cannot make it to the event but would still like to contribute, the University is accepting donations of backpacks, canned food, fleece, school supplies, cake mixes, frosting, candles, birthday gift bags, new small toys and books.
Items can be dropped off daily prior to the event from 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. in the Krasa Student Center, Room 015, or taken after 5:00 p.m. to the Benedictine University Police office located in the lower level of the parking garage. Items can also be dropped off on the day of the event.
For more information, contact Joan Henehan at firstname.lastname@example.org or (630) 829-6617.
Benedictine University is located in Lisle, Illinois, just 25 miles west of Chicago, and has branch campuses in Springfield, Illinois, and Mesa, Arizona. Founded as a Catholic university in 1887, Benedictine enrolls nearly 9,000 students in 59 undergraduate and 23 graduate programs. Forbes magazine named Benedictine among "America's Top Colleges" for the seventh consecutive year in 2017. Accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (hlcommission.org). For more information, contact (630) 829-6300, email@example.com or visit ben.edu.