2008
Etchings of European churches by noted American artist displayed in Krasa

Etchings of European churches by noted American artist displayed in Krasa
July 2, 2008

Phil Brozynski, Media Relations Manager
(630) 829-6094
pbrozynski@ben.edu

Fifty-one etchings of European churches by noted American artist John Taylor Arms are on display indefinitely in the Krasa Student Center on the campus of Benedictine University. All of the etchings – which were produced between 1922 and 1948 – were donated to the University by St. Procopius College (now Benedictine University) alumnus Fr. Joseph M. Kelchak, who collected the etchings over several decades. “The images are remarkable because of their spiritual quality, unusual design and exquisite detail,” said Fr. Michael Komechak, O.S.B., curator of the Benedictine University art collection. “One of them, titled ‘Cavendish Church, England,’ took the artist 290 hours to draw on a copper plate.” Before he died in 1953 at age 66, Arms told his friend and chronicler, William Dolan Fletcher, that his best and most successful image of the nearly 500 he printed beginning in 1915 was his view of Stockholm in 1940. That etching is included in the exhibit. The Arms etchings are the first to be shown in the display cases in Krasa since their renovation by commercial designer Rosemary Zuraw and her husband, Bill, of Naperville. The exhibit is open to the public daily between 8:00 a.m. and 9:00 p.m.

###

Benedictine University is an independent Roman Catholic institution located in Lisle, Illinois just 25 miles west of Chicago. Founded in 1887, Benedictine provides 56 undergraduate majors, 16 graduate and four doctorate programs. The Chronicle of Higher Education recently ranked Benedictine University as the seventh fastest-growing campus among private nonprofit master’s universities, and Forbes magazine named Benedictine among the top 20 percent of America’s colleges for 2011. Benedictine University’s Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.) program is listed by Crain’s Chicago Business as the fourth largest in the Chicago area in 2011.