The Office of University Development is committed to the continued advancement of Benedictine University. We challenge our alumni and donors to support the University in order to transform our future and ensure the growth and development of the institution and our students.
Gift annuities have been a popular charitable option for Benedictine University alumni and friends for decades. They generate life-long income, paying you an annual, semiannual or quarterly fixed annuity payment for the rest of your life. As a Benedictine University gift annuitant, you can have confidence that your annuity will be paid without interruption because of the University’s financial stability and its long history of faithfully meeting its annuity obligations.
Benefits of a Gift Annuity
- Partial income tax deduction at time of contribution
- Fixed lifetime income
- Partially tax-free income
- Deferral and partial avoidance of capital gains taxes (for gifts of appreciated securities)
- Significant gift for Benedictine University
Gift annuities can be funded with contributions of cash or marketable securities. With a gift annuity, you will receive a current tax deduction, which is determined by your age, the annuity rate and the amount of your contribution. The annuity rate is also based on your current age.
The following are examples of how various gift annuity strategies may help you accomplish your financial and charitable objectives:
- Current Gift Annuity. You immediately begin to receive annuity payments, which provide an ideal supplement to retirement income. You can also dispose of appreciated securities thereby avoiding and deferring capital gains taxes.
- Residence Gift Annuity. In certain situations, Benedictine University may accept a contribution of a remainder interest in a residence or farm in exchange for a gift annuity. A remainder interest is an arrangement whereby Benedictine receives the right to use and own the property at your death, yet you continue living in the residence during your life even as you receive lifetime