Health Sciences Recommendations Committee
For decades the University has had the policy of using a committee to write letters of recommendation for medical, dental, occupational therapy, optometry, pharmacy (4 yr), physical therapy, physician's assistant, podiatry and veterinary medicine professional schools.
- All students applying for an interview for MEDICINE, DENTISTRY & OPTOMETRY MUST have at least a 3.4 GPA for consideration.
Students applying for Physician's Assistant, Occupational Therapy, Physical Therapy, Pharmacy, Veterinary Medicine, Chiropractic or Podiatric fields MUST have at least a 3.2 GPA for consideration.
- You must have taken at least 30 hours of classes here at BenU, including three classes or 12 hours of science based classes including a lab.
- The following is the list of pre-professional interests that the committee will write letters for: Medicine, Dentistry, Physician's Assistant, Occupational Therapy, Optometry, Pharmacy (4 yr), Physical Therapy, Podiatry, Chiropractic and Veterinary Medicine. If your choice is NOT in this list, you are not eligible to go through the committee. If you have questions, please ASK!
- You must have completed the Practicum or have equivalent experience before you will be allowed to go through the interview process. "Equivalent experience" will be evaluated and approved by Ms. Sima. Please see her with questions.
- A poorly written application will not be accepted. It must be typed neatly. You will be required to retrieve the application from the web site at: http://www.ben.edu/hsrc and complete it in Word format. Paper copies of the application will NOT be available. Use the Spell-Check! Please note that the Student Success Center offers help with grammar and writing. If you need assistance completing the application, contact the Student Success Center.
- The most important of all criteria upon which a student will be evaluated is honesty and personal integrity. Any student who cheats, copies, or falsifies data (e.g. practicum time of observation, etc.), is endangering his/her academic credentials, and personal reputation. Information received from the Deans, Faculty Members, Administrative Staff or hospital/clinic staff regarding questionable behavior by a student could give the entire Committee or a Committee member the option to refuse to interview that student or retract their recommendation at any time following the interviewing process.
- You will not be allowed to re-interview with the Committee unless you receive a "Recommend with Reservation" evaluation or have substantial changes. In either instance, you must meet with Dr. Tischler for re-interview approval.
- A checklist has been added to the application packet. Please use it to make sure your application is complete. You will need to sign one copy and attach it to the top of your application submission. An incomplete application will be returned to you. You will then have the opportunity to make corrections until the deadline date. If corrections are not received by the due date, you will be referred to the next interview session.
- Original completed application AND 5 COPIES = 6 TOTAL (back to back is OK) must be returned to Michelle Mosier (BK 348) by the deadline date for you to be considered for an interview during the Spring session. Completed applications must be returned with a picture of you (black and white or color with a white or cream background) on each application. (Put the original photo on the original application and then make five additional copies)
Updated August 1, 2013